Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Big Blue Madness brings out the haters

They've been there since mid-April when UK hired him.  They whined when his recruits followed him to UK, because athletes sign with schools, not coaches, right?  They popped up big time in early June when the NCAA punished an NBA player by vacating his one college season (I'm sure he shed a tear, until he cashed his next paycheck).  Well, they are back and in rare form now.

There is nothing more en vogue in college sports today than bashing UK, Coach Cal or UK fans.  My non-UK fan friends (why do I bother cultivating those friendships?) are just beside themselves at all the preseason hype going to this UK team.  But in the interest of fairness, how DO I know that I'm not the problem, that I'm not suffering from the most famous of Greenspanian ailments known as Irrational Exuberance?  I'll tell you why.  Because the haters won't talk about the facts.  Any attempt to have a discussion on the merits is met with "where there is smoke..." arguments.   It's like a town hall debate on healthcare, except I actually care about this debate.  ( I don't want any lectures, UK basketball affects my mental and physical health from October through March)

I've grown weary of defending our program, I'm ready to start kicking some tail so I can at least enjoy what has caused all this hand wringing. Let's play some ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter